There are many signs a dog gives off to indicate how they are feeling. The main three aspects to look for are:
- Up/forward - alert
- Back - submissive, cautious
- Flat, back - fearful/defensive
- Open mouth - relaxed
- Closed mouth, repetitive behaviour, like licking, panting or salivating - possible tension
- Snarled/Showing teeth/Barking - Aggression
- Dog tail
- High quick wagging tail - aroused/excited
- Neutral tail, relaxed wag - alert/attentive
- Low tucked tail - stressed/fearful
- Neutral tail - relaxed
Be aware of the environment a dog is in and their feelings around it.
The fastest way to create an issue is to force a reaction from a Dog who is feeling unsafe or overwhelmed.
Dogs in crowded and over-stimulated situations may be hard to read properly and can react in an instant.
Be sure to make all dogs feel comfortable and safe, avoid cornering any dog to reduce the likelihood of incidents occurring.